PMP Sarasota Winter Residency
December 21, 2017 - January 6, 2018
The Perlman Music Program (PMP) has held a winter residency in Sarasota since 2004. This intensive 17-day program was founded by Toby Perlman, wife of internationally acclaimed concert violinist and conductor Itzhak Perlman. PMP offers unparalleled musical training for international students, ages 12 to 20+, who play the violin, viola, cello, and bass. With a faculty led by Toby and Itzhak Perlman and comprising some of the most gifted musical talents of our time, the PMP Sarasota Winter Residency offers an artistic and personal experience that changes students' lives forever.
Winter Residency Tickets
E-tickets are suggested, but not required, to attend FREE winter residency events. Members and sponsors receive access to reserved seating sections in the heated performance tent. All other seating is general admission.
- E-TICKETS are $7.50 each ($10 for Special Events).
- FREE TICKET DISTRIBUTION: early-admission tickets are available to the public for in-person pick-up (max. 6 tickets per person):
> Information coming soon!
- MEMBERS & SPONSORS:
> Members ($75+) may attend any free event - no tickets required. Simply wear your membership lanyard. Additional membership benefits available. Learn about memberships.
> Sponsors ($625+) may attend any event - no tickets required. Additional sponsorship benefits available. Learn about sponsorships.
- WHY USE TICKETS:
> All tickets (free tickets and $7.50 E-tickets) allow seating 30 minutes prior to event start time.
> Non-ticketholders are admitted 15 minutes prior to start time, based on seating availability.
Twenty musical events are presented to the public free of charge and include orchestra and chorus rehearsals, master classes, and recitals. The majority of events are presented in a heated performance tent (nearly 1,000 seats!) in the courtyard of the University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee (8350 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34243).
More than 10,000 people (all ages) annually attend:
- Orchestra Rehearsals – Audience members witness “stop and go” rehearsal techniques under the baton of Itzhak Perlman in addition to hearing his comments as he wears a microphone throughout each rehearsal.
- Chorus Rehearsals – Observe rehearsals of the PMP chorus comprised of PMP students, PMP faculty members, and select community male voices under the direction of Chorus Master Patrick Romano.
- Master Classes - See PMP faculty working one-on-one with individual PMP students. Master classes are public settings most accurately portraying PMP private lesson and closed studio class experiences.
- Works-in-Progress (WIP) Student Recitals – Hear individual & small groups of PMP students perform standard repertoire. Selections vary with each recital and may include movements of concertos, sonatas, and other chamber music; announced from the stage.
- PMP/Suncoast Super Strings - Young violinists (ages 8-18) from across Sarasota and Manatee counties and around Florida come together as PMP/Suncoast Super Strings to play under the baton of Itzhak Perlman and with the PMP String Orchestra during a PMP Sarasota Winter Redsidency rehearsal. Learn more!
- Q&A sessions sometimes follow events.
To help provide meaningful musical experiences to all people, including those with disabilities, older adults, and families with children, PMP/Suncoast assures that all winter residency offerings are accessible.
- The majority of daily musical events take place in a heated performance tent on the grounds (in the courtyard) of USF Sarasota-Manatee.
- Thanks to support from Kessler Foundation and USF Sarasota-Manatee in 2010, a level concrete walkway was built to provide easy access to a variety of seating sections throughout the tent.
- All general announcements, speaking during rehearsals and master classes, and Q&A sessions are amplified using microphones.
- USF Sarasota-Manatee parking lots and courtyard are lit and walking distances around campus are easily managed by many.
- Golf carts are provided to support arrival and departure of audience members, and transportation to and from restrooms for those needing a little extra assistance.
- Two different restrooms are provided: in the main building (mini Rotunda) and at Selby Auditorium (accessible via golf cart)
- For rehearsals and master classes, faculty members use microphones so that audience members are able to hear the comments made to the PMP students.
Parking @ USF Sarasota-Manatee:
Parking on campus is free of charge during the PMP Sarasota Winter Residency.
- USF Sarasota-Manatee parking permits are not required.
- The general public is encouraged to park in the south parking lots.
- Those with disabled person parking permits and/or sponsor parking passes are encouraged to park in the north parking lots (located near the backstage entrance of the performance tent).
- Once on campus, simply follow the signs or feel free to speak with a parking atendant for specific directions.
Celebration Concert Tickets: